Director Business Development
Massachusetts, United StatesBusiness Development
**This position is based in the Boston Area.
ProtaGene is a world leading analytic CRO partner for the biopharmaceutical and cell and gene therapy industries. From research through product commercialization, we provide the most advanced, integrated, and quality system driven analytic capabilities and packages for biologic therapeutics as well as cell and gene therapy platforms. Our deep history of analytical leadership in protein-based therapeutics stems from the merger of Protagen Protein Services in Europe and BioAnalytix in the US. In 2021 GeneWerk’s unique capabilities in vector safety, integration site analysis, and bioinformatics were integrated into our platforms and service offerings, establishing ProtaGene. The organization operates over four sites in Europe and North America. Our customer base includes leading large pharma/biopharma companies, biotechs, and cell & gene therapy companies worldwide.
Candidate Role: Reporting to the Head of US Business Development, the Senior Director of Business Development is expected to play an important role in sales activities creating an incremental, viable, high quality and profitable client base for pharmaceutical and biotech opportunities within ProtaGene. The ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of the Boston life sciences market and come with knowledge of influential contacts specifically in the biologics and cell/gene therapy space. The candidate should demonstrate the ability to secure meetings with key decision makers and the skill to penetrate new accounts and expand existing business. This person is expected to work closely with the ProtaGene sales, project management, and marketing teams.
- Secure and retain business through professional, consultative, and proactive sales activities.
- Hunter mentality to actively prospect and develop new accounts uncovering new business.
- Participate in local biotech and life sciences networking events to broaden visibility of ProtaGene services.
- Cultivate strong, long-term relationships with key decision makers within account and develop in-depth knowledge of the customer organization.
- Maintain general knowledge of all ProtaGene services for cross-selling into pre-clinical, clinical, GxP areas.
- Communicate competitive activities, positioning, and pricing to strengthen sales strategies.
- Analyze potential opportunities and develop sales plans for target accounts. Monitor actions and results.
- Work with Client Services to develop proposals.
- Handle follow-up related to the sale and drive completion of contractual documents.
- Adapt successful strategies and tactics to meet assigned financial targets and market demands.
- Maintain high visibility within customer organization. Monitor customer satisfaction by communicating regularly with customers and internal stakeholders.
- Plan and coordinate all customer sales activities and prepare sales activity reports for management.
- Record all customer sales related activities in CRM system and keep current.
- Serve as a liaison between the customer and technical and operational groups.
- Plan and oversee new marketing initiatives.
- Attend conferences, meetings, and industry events.
- Bachelor’s degree in science or business management
- 8+ years sales experience in relevant industry (CRO/ CDMO/Pharma/Biotech). Lab experience a plus.
- Self-motivated and results-oriented, with a track record of meeting or exceeding sales goals and objectives
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build rapport and negotiate effectively.
- Ability to build long-term value-driven relationships with stakeholders; existing relationships with industry leaders a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, with a proactive approach to identifying and resolving issues.
- Flexibility to travel.